True love usually brings to mind fairytale stories and movie script endings. Real lasting unconditional love starts within you. Find peace and acceptance of who you are and embrace it. Our personalities and preferences vary immensely, over valuing what others like or feel doesn’t allow us to fully accept who we are inside. You are one of a kind, different from anyone else. Don’t put too much stake in comparing yourself to others instead love the differences you have. The world would be quite boring if we were all the same.
“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball
How do you practice self-love, do you meditate or take a hot bubble bath? Do you speak to yourself kindly? What about having some compassion when you make a mistake? Typically, we’re our own worst critic. Jumping on the littlest mistake to tear yourself down…would you be that hard on your best friend or spouse? Why do we reserve the harshest punishment for ourselves? Show yourself the same respect and love you have for the people closest to you. In case you didn’t notice…you are stuck with yourself forever. Why not cherish and accept who you are?
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love & affection” Buddha
When someone wrongs you in life, do you carry that weight of hurt with you? What if you instead choose love. Love the person who did you wrong and love the experience that is a small chapter in the story of your life. Practicing acts and thoughts of love towards those that have done us wrong takes more strength than holding on to hate. Keeping anger alive in your life only harms you. It keeps your energy and intention focused on what hurt you. Instead try to practice the art of healing and letting go. Accept what happened, find compassion, and know that it’s over and it’s okay to move on.
“Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”Saint Augustine
“All you need is love, love is all you need.” I believe The Beatles were on to something here. Love is something we all need, we thrive when love fills our heart and minds. Love conquers all, breaks barriers, moves mountains. The idea is all the same, love is a powerful force that influences every decision we make. Every single person on this planet is unique but one thing we all have in common is the ability to love one another. What about you? Do you live in love?
- Speak to yourself lovingly, start your day with some positive affirmations about YOU! What qualities about yourself make you special, write down some kind words to remind you of how wonderful you are.
- Release grudges and anger. It doesn’t matter if this applies to your enemies or inward towards yourself. Forgive it all, no matter how much it hurt. Harboring hate in your heart is toxic. You cannot change the past so love and let go.
- Remind friends and family that you love them, a phone call or even a postcard every once and a while can bring so much joy. You never know when someone needs to hear how much they’re loved, even if we believe they already know.
- Do something nice for a stranger. Hold the door, give a compliment, or even just a smile. Practice small random acts of kindness every day.
- Express your gratitude, take a few moments to be thankful for all the wonderful things and people in your life. Showing appreciation is contagious, spread the love!
- Volunteer your time. There’s a ton of great charities and volunteer programs out there, find one that speaks to you! Here’s a few of my favorite organizations Habitat for Humanity , Heal The Bay , and Boys and Girls Club of America
“Nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time, it’s easy, all you need is love”
For more check out my Positive Forward Motion podcast on The Power Of Love